the beach / google local picnic spots / a park / your living room floor / where we went
finger foods are easiest / seasonal fruit & veggies / a theme (Italian or movie-inspired, etc)
A FEW PICNIC TIPS…
- Line any blanket with a shower curtain liner or cheapo plastic picnic mat to keep it from getting damp
- I love our bamboo picnic basket because it has the aesthetic of a classic picnic basket put has a zipper cooler inside to keep food at safe temperatures.
- Consider substituting pesto for mayonnaise since foods with mayonnaise must be kept cold, and can go bad when left out for too long in the heat. Use as a condiment or as a binder in potato/pasta salads.
- Don’t forget a trash bag and moist towelettes for cleanup if bathrooms/trashcans won’t be available.
- Wine drinkers you may find this enticing or perhaps DIY bend a metal hanger for the same effect.
- Need some food inspiration? Here are 30 picnic side dishes.
- Put small bottles of water in the freezer for a few hours before the picnic. These can double-up as chiller-blocks to keep food cool and when you reach your picnic spot the drinks will still be cold.
- Never keep food items that are prepared with mayonnaise or are considered high in protein out for longer than two hours. Bacteria can multiply in moist foods including salads and desserts.
- Make a list, and after you go on your picnic, if you forgot anything, add it to the list. Then save the list (take a picture of it to keep on your phone or email it to yourself) to keep handy for the future.